New York, New York: the city of dreams, the big apple, the cultural capital of the world, and my personal favorite, the city that never sleeps. No matter what you call it, everyone has specific ideas in their head about NYC. I was in love with the city before I even set foot there. Of course, I was afraid that my expectations might have been unrealistically high. However, once I was in the hustle and bustle, I knew that I was home. Since visiting the city, New York has taken over my walls (see the poster currently hanging in my room), literature selections and music playlists. If you also are dreaming of the big apple, check out my current favorite songs inspired by New York.
- Empire State of Mind by Jay-Z ft. Alicia Keys: This song has the pulse of the city embedded in the beat itself. Plus, the images in the music video have me ready to hop on a plane every time!
- New York by Milk & Bone: This is a new personal song of mine that consistently gives me chills. The harmonizing is absolutely stunning, and this song instantly made me a fan of the duo.
- New York Minute by Don Henley: One of my favorite things about the city is the events that are all simultaneously happening. There is inspiration and excitement all about, this song captures that perfectly. Anyone else remember it being featured on Friends?
- New York City by The Peter Malick Group and Norah Jones: Norah’s smooth voice helps capture the fact that many people, like myself, are actually calmed by the rush of the city.
- New York, New York by Frank Sinatra: Honestly how could this song not make this list? A pure classic that will always be relevant for any New York lover.
Hopefully I will get the chance to return soon, but for now, these tracks will have to do!